Blue Zones Project, North Hawaii
This busy holiday season, instead of getting swept away by all the hustle and bustle, take some time to down shift and recharge your batteries for the coming year. You can boost your well-being now and into the new year by slowing down and taking the time to eat nutritious foods, enjoy friends, reconnect with your spiritual side, make family a priority, and engage in activities that add a sense of purpose to your life. Residents living in the original Blue Zones areas share these common lifestyle habits called Power 9® — helping them live longer, healthier, happier lives.
TOP 5 WAYS TO KEEP YOU SMILING THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS
Keep your spirits bright this holiday season and into the new year with these five easy tips:
1. Take time to unwind. The holidays can be stressful. Set aside time to relax with your loved ones, and make sure you also have some quiet time to yourself.
2. Keep moving. Keep moving during the holidays to relieve stress and halt weight gain. Find ways to move your body more throughout the day. Take regular walks with friends and family or enroll in a yoga class to relieve stress.
3. Don’t try to lose weight or stick to a restrictive diet this holiday season. If you enjoy your favorite foods in smaller portions, you’ll feel satisfied, not deprived. Think “hara hachi bu” or stop eating when you’re 80 percent full.
4. Drink a glass of red wine with friends. Moderate wine consumption is believed to lower the risk of heart disease and reduce stress levels. Socializing with friends during the holidays will help to keep your spirits bright.
5. Laugh more. Laughing burns calories, reduces stress, and means you are enjoying the company of your loved ones during the holidays.
To learn more about Blue Zones Project® Hawaii, go to hawaii.bluezonesproject.com. North Hawaii is one of only three communities in the state selected as a Blue Zones Project demonstration site. Blue Zones Project by Healthways is brought to Hawaii by HMSA.