Blue Zones Project®, North Hawaii
Top 5 Ways to Enjoy a Longer, Healthier Life
What’s the secret to loving life? These five tips will put you on the path to living longer and better:
1. Move More. Instead of thinking of it as exercise, focus on making your lifestyle more active. Ride your bike instead of driving. Walk to the store. At work, take the stairs rather than the elevator, park at the far end of the parking lot and go for walking breaks. Build activity into your lifestyle by doing what you enjoy.
2. Do Something Interesting. Different people like to do different things. If you do something you find worthwhile, whether it’s focusing on your career, helping others, or raising a family, your days will take on more meaning.
3. Cut Calories by 20 percent. It’s easy to gain weight by eating just a little too much week after week. Eat enough so you’re no longer hungry, but not so much that you’re full. Add more plants to your diet — they are full of fiber to fill you up and are low in calories.
4. Love and Be Loved. Get together often with the ones you cherish. Having a strong social network of friends and family can enhance your sense of well-being and purpose.
5. Take Time to Down Shift. Make time to slow down and enjoy life’s simple pleasures — like a colorful sunset, a savory meal, or a glass of wine with a good friend. Life is short. Don’t run so fast you miss it.
Stay tuned each month for smart tips, based on the Power 9!
North Hawaii is one of only three communities in the state selected as a Blue Zones Project demonstration site. The community will celebrate with a Blue Zones Project Kick-off on Saturday, Oct. 17 from 3 to 6 p.m. at Kahilu Theatre and Kahilu Town Hall in Waimea with a free, family-friendly event. Blue Zones Project by Healthways is brought to Hawaii by HMSA. Learn more at BlueZonesProject.com.